Allow setting git branches via environment variables
To be done after TN 9.10 drops:
Update freenas-build to do the following:
Allow setting various git repo branches to build via environment variables.
This is done so we can create jenkins jobs on the fly, and adjust which developers branch they build, without having to modify freenas-build each time.
#2 Updated by Suraj Ravichandran about 4 years ago
- Target version set to Unspecified
Wanted to discuss my ideas of going about implementing this with jakub since he wrote the build system in the first place.
We came to the following conclusion:
1. Instead of just having a hacky fix for repo branches we instead should implement a generic dsl config var overriding mechanism via env vars.
2. This overriding mechanism would not be additive (as in it will only let you alter previously defined config vars from any .pyd file)
3. We would prefix the env vars with
dsl just for identification purposes.
4. The format of the env var would be
prefix.namespace.[subnamespace.]var format where
namespace is section of the dsl
example of this is:
5. While we are here and dealing with all this might as well deal with the redundancies here: https://github.com/freenas/freenas-build/blob/master/build/profiles/freenas9/repos.pyd.
We decided to have a generic profile inheritance scheme where in all .pyd files owuld be inherited unless explicitly defined (to diverge from parent) in the child.
Entire profile b inherits profile a completely with the exception of files found in profile b's root which preempt profile a's inheritance for just those files.
#3 Updated by Suraj Ravichandran about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Screened to 19
- % Done changed from 0 to 90
Have pushed the commit to a feature branch (see: https://github.com/freenas/freenas-build/commit/80453d81242384e7dad8611dd15a963c42e300fc)
Since this affects FN9, TN9 and FN10 all at the same time and they are all currently built from just the master branch of freenas-build I did not want to put it in master without review (have asked folks to do so)
Will merge it in post their replies with any modifications if suggested.