Add red warning when stopping a service
We have had a standing policy that if changes being applied would possibly cause a service interruption, we would give a big red screen with an "are you really sure?" type of question. Those don't seem to be working anymore as I just stopped SMB on accident and killed a transfer that was in progress.
This is a high priority and should be fixed in the next future release as customers regularly misclick (and support sometimes ends up clicking on the wrong thing due to Teamviewer lag).
#3 Updated by William Grzybowski about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Unscreened to 15
Dru Lavigne wrote:
William: didn't we recently get a similar ticket (or was that the zvol warning one)?
I dont remember of these warnings when stopping a service at all. Can you post a screenshot to remind me?
#8 Updated by Joshua Sirrine about 4 years ago
- Tracker changed from Bug to Feature
OKay, so I tried this on 9.10.2-U5 as well as 9.10.1 and I cannot see the red warnings. So either it's not on those versions, or this was never added and me and other members of the team are remembering something else.
In any case, I think we should consider this as a feature request in light of the fact that we do this on iSCSI and nothing else. Ideally, it would be great if we could have something like iSCSI's warning, where it says "hey, you got X sessions of this service open, are you sure you want to stop this service anyway?" and let the server admin decide if they want to kill those sessions anyway.
I've changed it to a feature ticket now, but I'll need the dev team to decide if we are going to implement this, and if so at what version. Frankly, this is a relatively low priority item in my opinion since this either never existed, or hasn't been working for some time (or at least intermittently). So if it gets pushed to 2018 that seems reasonable to me.
#9 Updated by Dru Lavigne about 4 years ago
- Project changed from TrueNAS to FreeNAS
- Subject changed from When stopping a service on TN 11.0-U2 there is no longer the red warning that services will be disrupted... to Add red warning when stopping a service
- Category changed from 42 to 2
- Status changed from 15 to Unscreened
- Target version changed from 11.0-U3 to 11.1
#10 Updated by Kris Moore about 4 years ago
- Category changed from 2 to GUI (new)
- Assignee changed from William Grzybowski to Anonymous
- Priority changed from No priority to Important
- Target version changed from 11.1 to 11.2-BETA1
I'm going to punt this over to the new UI for 11.2. I'm thinking we should put it both in FreeNAS and TrueNAS, just automatically have a warning popup with text indicating that active sessions will be killed when you are about to stop any service.