Project

General

Profile

Bug #25879

VM needs to reinstall after FreeNAS reboot

Added by Leo Leung about 3 years ago. Updated almost 3 years ago.

Status:
Closed: Third party to resolve
Priority:
No priority
Assignee:
Marcelo Araujo
Category:
Middleware
Target version:
Seen in:
Severity:
New
Reason for Closing:
Reason for Blocked:
Needs QA:
Yes
Needs Doc:
Yes
Needs Merging:
Yes
Needs Automation:
No
Support Suite Ticket:
n/a
Hardware Configuration:

CPU - i3-4160
RAM - 8GB
HDD - 2 1TB - Mirror

ChangeLog Required:
No

Description

Just few test in these days, I try to install Ubuntu Server 16.04 / CentOS 7 into FreeNAS VMs, I can just PowerON if only the VMs shutdown, but if the FreeNAS reboot, the VMs start back with asking me to install the system, can't boot normally.

!!

WX20170915-110623.png (29.8 KB) WX20170915-110623.png ScreenShot Leo Leung, 09/14/2017 08:14 PM
12480

History

#1 Updated by Leo Leung about 3 years ago

  • Seen in changed from 11.0-U4 to 11.0-U3

#2 Updated by Dru Lavigne about 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Unscreened to 15

Leo: does unchecking the "Wait to boot" box (http://doc.freenas.org/11/vms.html#adding-devices-to-a-vm) resolve it?

#3 Updated by Leo Leung about 3 years ago

  • QA Status Test Fails added
  • QA Status deleted (Not Tested)

Same, first install with unchecked "wait to boot" box, after install, than I poweroff the VM from VNC, after poweroff than I "start" the VM, same screen come back.

#4 Updated by Dru Lavigne almost 3 years ago

  • Status changed from 15 to Unscreened
  • Assignee changed from Release Council to Marcelo Araujo

Marcelo: do you know if this is fixed for 11.1?

#5 Updated by Marcelo Araujo almost 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Unscreened to 15
  • Target version set to 11.1

I guess he forgot to remove the CD ROM device after install.
Could you please double check if you still have the CD ROM device?

Best,

#6 Updated by Leo Leung almost 3 years ago

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

I guess he forgot to remove the CD ROM device after install.
Could you please double check if you still have the CD ROM device?

Best,

Nope, after install I remove the CD-ROM device, if I didn't power off the VM, just reboot via the VM inside, it can run normally.
But once I power-off the VM or reboot the NAS, it can't boot to OS.

#7 Updated by Marcelo Araujo almost 3 years ago

Leo Leung wrote:

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

I guess he forgot to remove the CD ROM device after install.
Could you please double check if you still have the CD ROM device?

Best,

Nope, after install I remove the CD-ROM device, if I didn't power off the VM, just reboot via the VM inside, it can run normally.
But once I power-off the VM or reboot the NAS, it can't boot to OS.

Please, could you attache your debug files?

#8 Updated by Leo Leung almost 3 years ago

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

Leo Leung wrote:

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

I guess he forgot to remove the CD ROM device after install.
Could you please double check if you still have the CD ROM device?

Best,

Nope, after install I remove the CD-ROM device, if I didn't power off the VM, just reboot via the VM inside, it can run normally.
But once I power-off the VM or reboot the NAS, it can't boot to OS.

Please, could you attache your debug files?

which log should I output for you?
http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/Freenas-debug

#9 Updated by Marcelo Araujo almost 3 years ago

Leo Leung wrote:

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

Leo Leung wrote:

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

I guess he forgot to remove the CD ROM device after install.
Could you please double check if you still have the CD ROM device?

Best,

Nope, after install I remove the CD-ROM device, if I didn't power off the VM, just reboot via the VM inside, it can run normally.
But once I power-off the VM or reboot the NAS, it can't boot to OS.

Please, could you attache your debug files?

which log should I output for you?
http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/Freenas-debug

Go to meny System->Advanced and at the bottom of the page there is a button "Save Debug".

Best,

#10 Updated by Leo Leung almost 3 years ago

  • File debug-FreeNAS-20170920091744.tgz added

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

Leo Leung wrote:

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

Leo Leung wrote:

Marcelo Araujo wrote:

I guess he forgot to remove the CD ROM device after install.
Could you please double check if you still have the CD ROM device?

Best,

Nope, after install I remove the CD-ROM device, if I didn't power off the VM, just reboot via the VM inside, it can run normally.
But once I power-off the VM or reboot the NAS, it can't boot to OS.

Please, could you attache your debug files?

which log should I output for you?
http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/Freenas-debug

Go to meny System->Advanced and at the bottom of the page there is a button "Save Debug".

Best,

Here is the output tgz files, please check with.

Thanks!!

#11 Updated by Dru Lavigne almost 3 years ago

  • Status changed from 15 to Unscreened

#12 Updated by Marcelo Araujo almost 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Unscreened to Screened

#13 Updated by yuval abraham almost 3 years ago

Hello,

I have the same problem, i running 5 ubuntu 17.04 vm and they are working properly but when i restart the freeNAS server i got the same phonemene. I found if i use the rescue disk and reinstall the grub the problem is "fixed" and i don't have to reinstall and can use the vm but once again the freeNAS will restart the same problem appear agfain.

#14 Updated by Tobias Müllauer almost 3 years ago

FYI, I have lubuntu installations and have no problem with this. I can restart my freenas and all working fine. The only thing I need is manually go in and finding the EFI boot file. That's is because lubunto not supporting uefi boot.

#15 Avatar?id=14398&size=24x24 Updated by Kris Moore almost 3 years ago

  • Target version changed from 11.1 to 11.1-U1

#16 Updated by Marcelo Araujo almost 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Screened to Closed: Third party to resolve

Hi,

The main problem is related in how bhyve looking for EFI firmware, there is a workaround that I did described at ticket: #25459.

Ticket: #25459
"""
Hi,

There is a way to fix it doing a workaround inside your Debian VM.

The root cause of this problem is because Debian places the EFI firmware in a very strange location, CentOS and other UEFI compatible OS does it in the right way.

How you can fix it:
1) Get access inside your Debian Guest VM.
2) as root: cd /boot/efi/
3) mkdir -p EFI/BOOT
4) cp debian/grubx64.efi EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi
5) reboot

Basically you need to have this file in this path:
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

And you will be good to go!
"""

Unfortunately, this is the only way to pass this issue till it is fixed on bhyve.

Best,

#17 Updated by Dru Lavigne almost 3 years ago

  • File deleted (debug-FreeNAS-20170920091744.tgz)

#18 Updated by Dru Lavigne almost 3 years ago

  • Target version changed from 11.1-U1 to N/A

Also available in: Atom PDF