Include VirtualBox in note about promiscuous mode in Guide
Testing in vmware VM.
Fresh install of Freenas 11U4, 2 new jails with static IP addresses. The jails can ping each other but only one of them can ping the host and neither of them can ping the gateway. Host networking is fine.
- File 2017-11-01-101428_686x429_scrot.png 2017-11-01-101428_686x429_scrot.png added
- Status changed from Screened to 15
I was running on VirtualBox and had the same issue with Bridged Adapter until I allowed Promiscuous Mode (see attached screenshot). I see you are running on VMware, it might have the same issue.
When I allowed Promiscuous Mode, both static and DHCP configurations started working. With DHCP configuration and Promiscuous Mode denied, I was able to see DHCP requests on DHCP server, but offers were apparently dropped by VirtualBox (because jail's adapter ethernet address was different from VirtualBox guest adapter ethernet address) and FreeNAS was not able to receive them.
Changing the security on the virtual switch from Reject to Accept Promiscuous mode has resolved the issue.
While I don't think security wise its a good idea to allow Promiscuous mode on the entire vmware host, this would not be an issue for me outside of development lab as the final product would be on stand alone hardware.\
I appreciate the time you spent looking into this. Thanks.
- Category changed from 38 to Documentation
- Status changed from Unscreened to Screened
- Target version set to 11.1
We already mention it for VMware in http://doc.freenas.org/11/jails.html#jails-configuration. Will edit slightly to note for Virtualbox as well.
- Subject changed from No network connectivity in Jails to Include VirtualBox in note about promiscuous mode in Guide
- Needs QA changed from Yes to No
- QA Status deleted (