Don't create iocage datasets if no jails exist
I upgraded to FreeNAS-11.1-INTERNAL2
During the upgrade, after reboot, iocage datasets were created. I have no jails. I deleted the datasets and rebooted. During the reboot it recreated them again
Screen shots provided
#1 Updated by Bonnie Follweiler about 3 years ago
- Private changed from No to Yes
This is on my mini 10.231.1.76 root:abcd1234
Right now it has the created directories but I can certainly roll it back and take more screenshots if you need them.
Please note that, if you delete the iocage datasets, when you reboot they will be recreated
#8 Updated by Kris Moore about 3 years ago
- Priority changed from No priority to Expected
- Target version set to 11.1
Brandon, afraid I'm going to have to re-open this. Its too big of a WTF to see datasets get randomly made when no jails have been requested (yet). Plus the potential for dataset spam on a zpool we didn't want it on. Can you please add the check we discussed so it doesn't do the dataset creation if running in startup / stop mode of rc.d
#9 Updated by Bonnie Follweiler about 3 years ago
- File Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.53.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.53.47 PM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.54.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.54.51 PM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.55.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 2.55.41 PM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 3.01.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 3.01.58 PM.png added
William Grzybowski wrote:
It cannot create datasets if the user currently has no jails setup.
When I reported the bug it was, and it still is, in FreeNAS-11.1-INTERNAL4, creating the iocage dataset (and subdatasets). My system had no jails and it created the iocage datasets during/after a reboot from the gui anyway. (screenshots provided)
#10 Updated by Bonnie Follweiler about 3 years ago
I don't know if this helps, but I just noticed that after I delete the created iocage datasets. I wanted to set up a Periodic Snapshot Task. In the volume/dataset I have the option of choosing tank/.bhyve.containers.
#11 Updated by Bonnie Follweiler about 3 years ago
- File Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 5.18.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 5.18.25 PM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 5.22.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 5.22.33 PM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 5.18.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 5.18.36 PM.png added
On another VM I upgraded from FreNAS 11.1Beta1 to FreeNAS-11.1-INTERNAL4
I had no jail, and still don't. When I upgraded it created the iocage datasets
#12 Updated by Brandon Schneider about 3 years ago
- Target version changed from 11.1 to 11.2-BETA1
This is the current expected behavior since you have multiple pools. iocage will automatically activate on the first zpool it sees that isn't freenas-boot (tank in this case). So this is working as designed. Since we call iocage on every boot, it will do this each time. tank will remain activated after that until a different pool (the user's choice) becomes the new target.
Kris and myself have talked about this and I'll try to skip this process in the rc of iocage. But this won't be in 11.1.
Also the old UI screenshots you supplied is warden, that would never show iocage jails.
#13 Updated by William Grzybowski about 3 years ago
Imagine how many people are not running jails and will see iocage datasets. Worse, they will delete datasets and they will come back after reboot.
I know we talked about it already but can we try to make it into 11.1 using a workaround? I believe this to be an important bug and will generate quite a few tickets.
#14 Updated by Kris Moore about 3 years ago
- Priority changed from Expected to Blocks Until Resolved
- Target version changed from 11.2-BETA1 to 11.1
This is going to need to be fixed in 11.1,otherwise I'll need to revert the iocage_enable stuff. Right now having it create datasets on a random pool is too big of a "huh?" operation for users.
#16 Updated by Brandon Schneider about 3 years ago
- Status changed from Unscreened to Ready For Release
#18 Updated by Dru Lavigne about 3 years ago
- Subject changed from Reboot after upgrade installd iocage datasets even though I have no jails to Don't create iocage datasets if no jails exist
- Status changed from Ready For Release to Needs Developer Review
- Assignee changed from Brandon Schneider to Kris Moore