Add Configuring Persistent NFS-Shared Volumes section to Guide
Specifically, containers using stack scoped volumes are unable to start using rancher-nfs (NFS pass-thru).
Please see here for more details and several problem reports of other FreeNAS users:
Unfortunately this makes it impossible to run many of the most popular containers on Docker Hub with NFS pass-thru.
#2 Updated by Nick Wolff over 1 year ago
- Category changed from OS to Documentation
- Assignee changed from Marcelo Araujo to Release Council
- Severity set to Low
This is more documentation/nfs specific then vm specific so I'm reassigning to release council to see if it makes sense to have doc's work someone skilled in NFS to figure out if there is a config recommendation to document to help resolve this.
- Status changed from Unscreened to Not Started
After reading through the linked thread, here is the proposed docs change:
Add notes to Virtual Machines/Docker Hosts/Installing and Configuring the Rancher Server (16.5.5) describing a few configuration changes to get NFS pass-thru working with FreeNAS & RancherOS VM:
1. Configure the RancherOS VM to have these settings:
2. Configure the FreeNAS system with these settings: 1) In the NFS service settings set Enable 2) NFSv4 Enable NFSv3 ownership model for NFSv4
3) When mounting a volume, pass in the nocopy option, e.g. volume:/mnt/volume:nocopy
Please review and comment if this doesn't look correct. I'll link the PR here when it is opened.
- Status changed from In Progress to Blocked
- Reason for Blocked set to Waiting for feedback
We need some feedback before the changes can be merged:
- What is the use case for these instructions? Every Rancher setup using multiple containers, or is there a specific configuration of Rancher, FreeNAS, and containers where this applies?
- Rancher documentation states "A NFS server has to be installed prior to launching the Rancher NFS driver." (https://rancher.com/docs/rancher/v1.6/en/rancher-services/storage-service/rancher-nfs/). Can the FreeNAS system or the Rancher VM function as this server or does it have to be a separate system?
- Subject changed from Rancher containers fail using NFS pass-thru to Add Configuring Persistent NFS-Shared Volumes section to Guide
- Status changed from Blocked to Ready for Testing
- Reason for Blocked deleted (
Waiting for feedback)
- Needs Doc changed from Yes to No
- Needs Merging changed from Yes to No
- File Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.35.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.35.13 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.55.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.55.04 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.59.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.59.26 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.00.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.00.03 AM.png added
- Status changed from Ready for Testing to Passed Testing
- Needs QA changed from Yes to No
Test Passed (both legacy and new checked)