Clarify create option of Boot menu in Guide
There is some confusion on the difference between CLONE and CREATE in the 11.1-U2 documentation. While CLONE is somewhat straight forward saying:
Clone: used to create a copy of the highlighted boot environment.
the description of CREATE is not as clear. It says:
Create: a manual boot environment. A pop-up menu prompts for entry of a Name for the boot environment. When entering the name, only alphanumeric characters, underscores, and dashes are allowed.
What is a manual boot environment? How does doing a CREATE differ from doing a CLONE on the Active boot environment? Having experimented a bit it appears a CREATE is a clone of the active boot environment, which would make the CREATE function redundant.
Here is a thread to a discussion on the confusion... https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/confused-with-boot-environments-clone-or-create.61682/page-2
- Category set to Documentation
- Assignee changed from Release Council to Warren Block
- Target version set to 11.2-BETA1
- Due date set to 03/09/2018
- Target version changed from 11.2-BETA1 to 11.2-RC2
- Target version changed from 11.2-RC2 to 11.2-BETA3
- Target version changed from 11.2-BETA3 to Backlog
- Status changed from Not Started to In Progress
- Assignee changed from Warren Block to Aaron St. John
- Has duplicate Bug #53530: Exlpain what boot environment "Clone" and "Create" buttons do in legacy UI added
- Target version changed from Backlog to 11.2-U2
- Target version changed from 11.2-U2 to 11.2-RC2
This still needs a PR for angulargui.
- Needs Doc changed from Yes to No
- Subject changed from Fix confusing documentation for CREATE in the BOOT menu to Clarify create option of Boot menu in Guide
- Status changed from In Progress to Ready for Testing
- Needs Merging changed from Yes to No
Test Passed FreeNAS-11.2-INTERNAL31
- Status changed from Passed Testing to Done
Also available in: Atom