re-attach serial console device
as https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/30225 requests ability to add serial console via a new UI shell, I have run into issue of reattaching to already running serial console as described as a comment in #30225
erin and i have decided to create a python script which is executed by the front end, which kills serial console and reruns cu -l /dev/<vmid> to reattach to the console.
please let us know if this is the right approach or not, or if there are any changes needed to be done.
#2 Updated by Vaibhav Chauhan over 3 years ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Not Started
- Assignee changed from Vaibhav Chauhan to Marcelo Araujo
- Priority changed from Nice to have to Expected
- Target version changed from Master - FreeNAS Nightlies to 11.2-BETA1
I think this needs work from middleware side to determine what needs to be done to enable re-attach serial console device.
#6 Updated by Marcelo Araujo over 3 years ago
- Status changed from Not Started to In Progress
There is an issue with the UI webshell, it left the process hang in the system.
How to simulate this issue:
1) Connect on FreeNAS using the new UI.
2) Click in "Display System Processes"
3) click in any other menu option.
4) Do steps 2 and 3 several times.
5) Connect via ssh into FreeNAS.
6) Run: ps ax | grep top | wc -l
Also it happens when you open the "Shell", you can do the exactly same steps above running any other command in the shell as an example: gstat(8)
So, the problem here is, when we launch the shell and run 'cu' to connect on VM guest console, right after we close the shell, the process is hanging there for forever.
I have spoke with vb@ already, it seems to be a Webshell issue and not direct related with 'cu'
I will hold this ticket to make a follow up with vb@, but the issue should be fixed at webshell side.