Catch any exceptions when updating a property
Create a new jail with only the minimum required fields.
Click Add Jail
Enter a Jail Name (I used Jail-Go-Bye in the video)
Select a Release
Leave everything blank here
Now start this jail
Jail Options Menu -> Start (or select the jail and click the 'play' button)
Click the Jail Options button -> Edit
Set "DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4" option to enable networking autoconfigure
Click Save at the bottom of this screen
Get the Please Wait as the jail is reconfigured
Jail List loads
Jails are gone...
In the video, there was an existing jail, and the jail created to demo this bug.
After triggering the bug both jails are gone. (see note below)
See attached video DisappearingJails-2018-06-11.mkv
After a bit more research, the jails are gone only from the Jails section.
Go to Storage -> Pools
Expand the Pool that contains the iocage dataset and all the jails are there.
Reboot the FreeNAS, and the jails again show up as they should.
Luckily there is no data loss and seems to only be a visual/jails display issue.
Note: When creating this bug, I did the steps again. This time I had the 2 jails from creating the demo video.
Followed the steps again.
This time only the new jail disappeared...
There is no data loss, a reboot brings the "missing" jails back, and this is a fairly specific set of steps.
I'm not sure if this is a blocker or not...
I would say this set of steps may be done in the wild if a user creates a jail, starts that jail, then realizes "Ooops I can't do anything with this jail I forgot to add networking." User then go to Edit on the running jail, enables networking, and bam, potentially all of their jails disappear.
This bug was first discovered using the 6-6-2018 FreeNAS Nightly build. Confirmed and reported this bug against the current latest nightly (6-11-2018)
#3 Updated by Brandon Schneider over 1 year ago
- Subject changed from Jails disappear when enabling networking on a running jail. to Jails disappear when enabling dhcp on a running jail.
- Status changed from Unscreened to In Progress
- Severity changed from New to Medium
Lola has stated that Mike reports that this only occurs enabling dhcp on a running jail.
#4 Updated by Michael Reynolds over 1 year ago
Correct, I followed all of the steps up to the going into the Edit section. I didn't thoroughly test, but I enabled a few random options in the Jail Properties section and no jails disappeared.
Another thing that may help track this down, if I go into Edit when the jail is stopped, enable DHCP auto-config and click save, jails do not disappear either.
#5 Updated by Brandon Schneider over 1 year ago
- Status changed from In Progress to Ready for Testing
#8 Updated by Brandon Schneider over 1 year ago
- Category changed from Middleware to GUI (new)
- Status changed from In Progress to Not Started
- Assignee changed from Brandon Schneider to Lola Yang
Middleware PR: https://github.com/freenas/freenas/pull/1345 This will require the UI to catch exceptions for do_update
#10 Updated by Dru Lavigne over 1 year ago
- Subject changed from Jails disappear when enabling dhcp on a running jail. to Catch any exceptions when updating a property
- Category changed from GUI (new) to Middleware
- Status changed from Done to Ready for Testing
- Assignee changed from Lola Yang to Brandon Schneider
- Needs Doc changed from Yes to No
- Needs Merging changed from Yes to No
#12 Updated by Michael Reynolds over 1 year ago
- File enableNetworkRunningJail-2018-06-20.png enableNetworkRunningJail-2018-06-20.png added
- Status changed from Ready for Testing to Passed Testing
- Needs QA changed from Yes to No
Instead of jails disappearing an error dialog pops up