Remove up/down arrows from number fields in new UI
Several locations in the Angular GUI allow the user to enter a file or zvol size. These fields accept a plain number, and have up/down arrows to increase or decrease that number.
No units are shown, so the user has no way to easily tell whether the field is in K, M, or G. The up/down arrows are not very useful. Few people will scroll through a bunch of numbers instead of just typing one.
Replace these fields with a text input field that parses human-readable values. Let the user enter 20G or 20M or 2048K and calculate the required size from that. Show an error if the user does not enter a valid units letter.
#3 Updated by Warren Block about 2 years ago
The old UI had text input fields that accepted a number and a unit, like 20G. This might be the clearest way to enter and show values for the user.
Reusable inputmask code would be valuable in many fields, particularly password fields where only a limited set of characters are accepted. At present, we allow the user to enter invalid characters, then complain about it with a validation message afterwards. Better for the user to catch those on input, being able to ignore them so they don't appear in the input field, or displaying a dialog when the user types a disallowed character.
#13 Updated by Dru Lavigne almost 2 years ago
- Subject changed from File size fields are difficult to use and read to Remove arrows from number fields in new UI
- Status changed from Screened to Ready for Testing
- Target version changed from Backlog to 11.2-RC2
- Needs Doc changed from Yes to No
- Needs Merging changed from Yes to No
#16 Updated by Jeff Ervin almost 2 years ago
- File Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 4.36.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 4.36.52 PM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 4.37.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 4.37.20 PM.png added
- Status changed from Ready for Testing to Passed Testing
- Needs QA changed from Yes to No
Test Passed FreeNAS-11.2-INTERNAL28