If Jail exists with preferred jailname of a plugin, plugin script DESTROYS jail.
I just attempted to install the qbittorrent plugin, while already having a jail called 'qbittorrent' manually created by myself a few weeks ago.
This failed, I logged this job https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/41320 (perhaps this can now be closed?)
I just noticed, my jail is now destroyed and missing entirely. The plugin script trashed a jail it didn't 'own' because it had the jailname the system wanted to work with...
This very much shouldn't happen.
I now, very very much recommend my notes from issue 41320, please consider a unique jailnaming convention, the _1, _2, _3 is totally acceptable and alleviates this issue AND it sticks with existing conventions from the Warden system, people are accustomed to.
Fortunately I can figure out how to fix this, probably but it may frustrate other users.
Medium to high priority, user data being accidentally deleted via script.
#1 Updated by Disk Didler about 2 years ago
Since the plugin script destroyed the full jail path, entirely.
I no longer have snapshots listed for this path at all. (This may be a FreeBSD limitation?)
Therefore, I have to re-create this jail entirely from scratch.
I'm glad that I've learnt a lot in the past month or two, or I'd be significantly frustrated.
This definitely needs to be fixed for end users
#5 Updated by Brandon Schneider about 2 years ago
- Category changed from Middleware to GUI (new)
- Status changed from In Progress to Unscreened
- Assignee changed from Brandon Schneider to Erin Clark
Erin: While waqar was working on a different ticket, he stumbled on this bug and has a screenshot showing the UI is calling the deletion.
#6 Updated by Waqar Ahmed about 2 years ago
So the new UI is calling jail.delete on it's own in case a validation error is raised from the Middlewared's end. Imho this case should be handled in middlewared that it deletes any resources it allocates.