Provide distinction between license and EULA on TrueNAS systems
The terminology is kind of confusing. When we say "license", we really mean "license key" or "license file".
So here are suggestions:
1. Always show an alert until the EULA is accepted.
2. If the EULA has not been accepted, show the EULA to the user every time they come to the UI until they accept it. Don't allow them to skip agreeing to this important thing that affects both them and iXsystems.
3. Allow Production to set up HA (apply the license key or keyfile) without having to accept the EULA. This should be through a method the end user will not see (magic URL, whatever). It sounds like the key/key file creation process is tied to EULA acceptance, and these should be separate functions.
4. In the Support tab, show when the end user accepted the EULA and provide a button that shows the contents of the EULA.
After speaking to Nick, I think we can summarize this:
1. Keep or implement the EULA bypass keystroke so Production can skip the EULA when setting up the system.
2. When the user clicks the Update License button, show only a field for the License Key, with two buttons labeled Update License and Cancel. This window should not show the EULA, which is a separate matter.
This will allow Production to set up an HA system with license keys installed on both controllers, but still show the user the EULA until they agree to it.
- Subject changed from Allow production to configure HA without accepting the EULA to Provide distinction between license and EULA on TrueNAS systems
- Description updated (diff)
- Private changed from Yes to No
- Reason for Blocked deleted (
Waiting for feedback)
- Needs Merging changed from Yes to No
- File Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.04.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.04.51 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.04.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.04.40 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.51.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.51.54 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.51.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.51.40 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.51.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.51.11 AM.png added
- Status changed from Ready for Testing to Failed Testing
- Private changed from No to Yes
- Status changed from Failed Testing to Blocked
- Reason for Blocked set to Waiting for feedback
You only need to accept EULA if you install TrueNAS-11.1-U7-INTERNAL3 or later from scratch. Updates of existing systems won't require to accept EULA, this was explicitly asked for in one of related tickets. So I think the results described above are desired. Are they?
Also TrueNAS-11.1-U7-INTERNAL3 is the only release that has these changes so this
I created a TrueNAS 11.1-U6.2 VM, and clicked cancel at the license/EULA screen (which was together) so I guess if the User puts in the license they have to click "I agree"? (is that working as intended?
is not applicable to this ticket