Update Minio to >= RELEASE.2018-10-18T00-28-58Z plus UI config of multiple user credentials.
Minio released version RELEASE.2018-10-18T00-28-58Z with multiple user support. Please consider upgrading to this revision and allowing configuration of multiple user credentials from the UI.
- Status changed from In Progress to Blocked
- Reason for Blocked set to Need additional information from Author
Thank you Chris for letting us know about this. So I wanted to confirm a few things to make sure we are on the same page.
1) By multiple user support, are you referring to setting up policies for different users using minio client or more specifically this document - ( https://docs.minio.io/docs/minio-multi-user-quickstart-guide.html ) ?
2) On the server end, minio supports the notion of multi tenancy, are you perhaps referring to that when we talk about multi user environment ?
3) On the said release, external identity providers support is also available, are you perhaps referring to that ?
Please could you let us know more about your idea of multi users ?
Personally I think you are perhaps referring to point no 1 where as in docs they use minio client to configure user policies.
It would be very helpful if you could elaborate your use case here and we can then decide our road map for getting this done.
Waqar Ahmed wrote:
Hello Chris, just a follow up on the ticket. Please have a look at my earlier comment when you have some time. Thank you
Thanks for coming back to me.
The version of minio with FreeNAS presently allows multiple buckets but only one set of user credentials. Therefore, all users get write access to all buckets.
The later version allows multiple user credentials. I am not sure whether multitenancy was not individual server instances (one per tenant), and I believe was an interim solution.
Versions at or beyond the version indicated offer multi user and multi bucket which makes is a really powerful offering. I think of it as anaogeous to the NAS, where mutiple folders but a single user would be absurd.
I am looking to allocate buckets to family and friends and act as a cloud-based backup destination. I'll host your encrypted backups if you host mine, if you will. I therefore need to separate out users content but having a single password would allow user A to delete user B's backups.
- Status changed from In Progress to Screened
- Target version changed from 11.3 to 12.0
Hello Chris, so we have gone through your requirements and the changes introduced by these are out of scope for 11.3 and we have decided to retarget this for 12.0. Thank you for your support and time.