CPU Critical Temperature Alerts in Daily Security Run
Beginning with the 11.2 upgrade almost every day I get a "local security run" email with critical temperature detected messages on one or more cores like the following:
coretemp3: critical temperature detected, suggest system shutdown
coretemp2: critical temperature detected, suggest system shutdown
The dashboard CPU temperature reads a steady 32C any time I check, however I just ran this:
sysctl -a | egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
The CPU is a Core i5-3570K with the stock CPU fan installed and I verified that the fan is running. tjmax on the processor is 150C.
Any ideas what might be going on? Why am I getting critical temperature alerts? What is the dashboard CPU temperature displaying? What accounts for the difference between the dashboard and what I got back from form the sysctl command?
(Build Date: Dec 20, 2018 22:41)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 cores)
- Status changed from Unscreened to Blocked
- Reason for Blocked set to Need additional information from Author
tjmax on the OS side is 105 and I can see in your debug a core is running above 70C already. So its likely at some point during the day its reaching 105 or very close.
The graph in new UI is suing wrong temperature units, there is another ticket about that.
Can you verify the Reporting graph in legacy UI for cpu temperature and verify the values during the days?
- File Temp Classic.JPG Temp Classic.JPG added
- File Temp New.JPG Temp New.JPG added
- Category changed from Middleware to OS
Verified that legacy UI and new UI show different temperatures.
Also here is sysctl output from the same time:
% sysctl -a | egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
Can you show me where you found the 70.0C reported? If my CPU really is running hot I need to figure out what is happening.
Ok thanks - zoomed in legacy temp display attached.
It appears to be peaking every evening between 10-midnight and again around 3:00AM.
I guess I need to change / upgrade to CPU cooler - the fan appears to be working.
I have Freenas running, plus Plex in a jail (low to no usage), plus PiHole in a VM.
- Category changed from OS to Middleware
- Status changed from Blocked to Closed
- Target version changed from Backlog to N/A
- Reason for Closing set to User Configuration Error
- Reason for Blocked deleted (
Need additional information from Author)
Seems like the message is legit so nothing to fix here.
Thanks for the feedback