Remove Microsoft Download Tool from Guide
The guide at https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/install.html suggests to use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool to create a bootable USB drive on Windows. That tool is not usable with 11.2-U1, it complains about "invalid ISO format".
Suggest to remove the line that reads:
"Microsoft provides the USB/DVD Download Tool to create a USB bootable image from an .iso file. Follow these instructions, but enter the name of the downloaded .iso into the SOURCE FILE box."
A good alternative would be Etcher, as it is cross-platform and easy to use. Maybe something along the lines of:
"Etcher can be used to create a bootable USB drive from the FreeNAS .iso image. Select the image, select the drive, and flash."
Where "Etcher" would link to https://www.balena.io/etcher/
#3 Updated by Warren Block about 2 months ago
Etcher reportedly has problems on Windows when the image has misplaced GPT tables (https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/1839), which FreeNAS install images will almost always have. So I'm skeptical about including that, but we will definitely remove the Microsoft tool.
#9 Updated by Jeff Ervin about 1 month ago
- File Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 9.37.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 9.37.38 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 9.37.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 9.37.51 AM.png added
- File Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.02.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.02.32 AM.png added
- Status changed from Ready for Testing to Passed Testing
- Needs QA changed from Yes to No
Test Passed FreeNAS-11.2-U2-INTERNAL84
Checked both Legacy & new GUI guides (Screenshots of both provided, along with a reference screenshot of before the changes). New links provided working as well.