NUT does some strange UPS tests and reboots FreeNAS server
After update to FreeNAS 9.3: sometimes (+- every two weeks) server reboots due to probably UPS NUT bug issue. For example:
1. 3:12pm - I receive an email with body: ONBATT - ups from FreeNAS
2. server reboots and becomes unreachable (or shuts down and then powers on - I do not know it exactly), zabbix monitoring sends me an email about it at 3:15pm
3. 3:18pm - I receive an email with body: LOWBATT - ups from FreeNAS
4. 3:18pm - I receive an email with body: ONLINE - ups from FreeNAS
5. zabbix monitoring can reach the server so it sends me an email about it at 3:23pm, battery charge is below 40 percent
[root@nas] ~# upsc ups battery.alarm.threshold: 0 battery.charge: 097.0 *battery.charge.low: 15 battery.charge.restart: 00* battery.date: 03/19/13 battery.packs: 000 battery.runtime: 540 battery.runtime.low: 120 battery.voltage: 27.38 battery.voltage.nominal: 024 device.mfr: APC device.model: Smart-UPS 1500 device.serial: AS1312221926 device.type: ups driver.name: apcsmart driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2 driver.parameter.port: /dev/cuau0 driver.version: 2.7.2 driver.version.internal: 3.1 input.frequency: 50.00 input.quality: FF input.sensitivity: H input.transfer.high: 253 input.transfer.low: 208 input.transfer.reason: line voltage notch or spike input.voltage: 243.3 input.voltage.maximum: 243.3 input.voltage.minimum: 243.3 output.current: 02.63 output.voltage: 241.9 output.voltage.nominal: 230 ups.delay.shutdown: 090 ups.delay.start: 240 ups.firmware: 651.2.I ups.id: RACK ups.load: 046.1 ups.mfr: APC ups.mfr.date: 03/19/13 ups.model: Smart-UPS 1500 ups.serial: AS1312221926 ups.status: OL ups.temperature: 025.2 ups.test.interval: 1209600 ups.test.result: NO - please ignore the battery charge - I was just testing the UPS before reporting this bug
What is causing UPS to discharge? I can see "input.transfer.reason: simulated power failure or UPS test" after the FreeNAS reboot.
#1 Updated by Jordan Hubbard over 5 years ago
- Status changed from Unscreened to Closed: User Config Issue
The server is shutting down, as asked to by the UPS. Why your UPS is running down its battery and then signaling FreeNAS is anyone's guess. Perhaps the UPS has a defect of its own. Either way, maybe the best choice in this case is not to hook up this UPS's status to FreeNAS.
#2 Updated by Václav Bohata over 5 years ago
OK, maybe simulated power failure is initiated by the UPS instead of normal self test but FreeNAS should not shut down. I configured UPS service Shutdown mode to "ups reaches low battery" and Auxiliary parameters has "override.battery.charge.low = 15" option set.