Kindly add minimum boot-dev size to https://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/
The page https://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/ does not list a minimum size for the boot device(s), although it recommends using flash media of some sort.
I just found out the hard way that 8GB USB flash devices are not large enough to install 11.2.
This comes as a surprise, since 11.1 fit nicely into ~2.3GB (IIRC).
Before I run out and purchase more (16GB next time?) USB flash drives, what is the smallest allowable boot device?
#1 Updated by Dru Lavigne over 2 years ago
- Project changed from FreeNAS to Digital Marketing - Website Change Requests
- Category changed from Forums/Websites to FreeNAS.org
- Assignee changed from Release Council to Jeremy Quinn
- Seen in deleted (
- Severity deleted (
- Needs QA deleted (
- Needs Doc deleted (
- Needs Merging deleted (
- Needs Automation deleted (
- Support Suite Ticket deleted (
- ChangeLog Required deleted (
The Guide has these recommendations: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/intro.html#the-operating-system-device.
#3 Updated by Joshua Smith over 2 years ago
- Assignee changed from Joshua Smith to Dru Lavigne
Hey Dru and Jeremy,
I'm glad to make this update but I'm unsure what the minimum should be in this case. The reporter says that it will not fit on their 8 GB drives, but the docs suggest 8 GB is the bare minimum. Should we change the docs to reflect that 16 GB is the minimum? I don't want to have inconsistent information on the same subject. Please let me know and I will update the requirements section of the website.
#4 Updated by Joshua Smith over 2 years ago
- Status changed from Unscreened to Done
- Assignee changed from Dru Lavigne to Joshua Smith
We ran some tests and can confirm that 8GB devices are working here but 7 GB devices will fail. It's possible that the thumb drives being used do not actually have 8 GB of space available. It's very common to sell a 7.5 GB device as an 8 GB device.
Updated to match the Docs.
#5 Updated by Dru Lavigne over 2 years ago
- Project changed from Digital Marketing - Website Change Requests to FreeNAS
- Category changed from FreeNAS.org to Forums/Websites
- Target version changed from Backlog to Master - FreeNAS Nightlies
- Severity set to New
- Needs QA set to Yes
- Needs Doc set to Yes
- Needs Merging set to Yes
- Needs Automation set to No
- Support Suite Ticket set to n/a
- ChangeLog Required set to No